At Axalta, our customers come first. A key priority in helping them to meet their own sustainability goals, is to ensure that their products last longer and reduce the environmental impact from coating application. Our coatings allow original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) of cars and light trucks to protect their vehicles from weather, abrasion, ultraviolet light, and other corrosive elements. Axalta coatings for commercial vehicles not only enable buses, trucks, and trains to display corporate branding, but also withstand wear from rugged conditions. Axalta refinish technologies provide coatings, color matching tools, and training to body shops. Industrial coatings provide substrates with lasting protection and enhanced productivity, from building cladding and vehicle parts to electrical components, and from wood cabinetry and furniture to agricultural, construction, and earth moving equipment.
Coating Product Formulations
Product formulations help our customers meet their goals. Waterborne, as well as high- and medium-solids solventborne and liquid paint coatings for use by original equipment manufacturers and in the aftermarket, contain reduced levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Our products meet key air quality goals set by our customers and regulators in the EU, the U.S. and in China. Axalta’s powder coatings contain virtually no VOCs and no targeted hazardous air pollutants (HAPs). These lower emission products continue to offer superb finishes both in terms of durability and appearance. Industrial coatings such as AquaEC electrocoat and Voltatex are available in tin- and formaldehyde-free formulations, respectively.
- Low-VOC liquid refinish products include Cromax® Pro, Permahyde® Hitech® and StandoBlue®.
- Waterborne and both high- and medium-solids solventborne coatings for original equipment vehicle manufacturers reduce VOC emissions.
- Powder products with virtually no VOCs and no targeted hazardous air pollutants include Nap-Gard® and Alesta®.
- Variations of the Voltahyde® line of Energy Solutions electrical insulation products use waterborne and formaldehyde- free formulations to reduce their impact on the environment.
- Coatings for wood such as Zenith® Waterborne contain virtually no VOCs.
- Cool roof pigments used in Dura Coat coil coatings help diminish heat island effect from buildings and, in the process, reduce the need for air conditioning and associated energy demand.
Coating Application Systems
Coating application systems also enable customers to achieve their goals.
- Our Refinish waterborne basecoats, Cromax Pro, Permahyd Hitech and StandoBlu, are designed for wet-on-wet application and hide in 1.5-2 coats, well below the norm. This means a customer uses less paint, generating fewer emissions to help meet environmental goals, and yet can repair cars faster than with traditional solventborne products. Refinish color match tools such as handheld spectrophotometers identify the correct refinish color match formula the first time, reducing waste and improving productivity.
- Harmonized Coating Technologies™ that are installed in OEM paint shops offer consolidated layering systems combined with low or ambient temperature cure coatings, reducing energy consuming “bake steps” that are traditionally required between paint applications. Eliminating bake ovens also shortens the paint shop footprint and can reduce capital costs.
- Electrical insulation coatings such as Voltatex® enable electric components and motors, transformers and generators to operate at higher temperatures, which translates into greater efficiency and energy savings.
- Powder products such as Alesta, Nap-Gard and Abcite increase substrate lifespan in materials ranging from building cladding, oil platforms and rebar to playground equipment, appliances and pipelines with zero solvent emissions.
For more information on our efforts to reduce the environmental footprint from coatings, please refer to our Sustainability Report 2016-2017.