What Are Thermoplastic Powder Coatings?
Thermoplastic coatings are part of our everyday life. They are the thick and resilient coatings you can find on refrigerator shelves or clothes drying racks, but they are far more than that. They provide excellent corrosion protection and weathering resistance. Axalta offers several ranges of thermoplastic coatings, with a range of performance characteristics.
What Is the Difference Between a Thermoplastic Coating and a Thermoset Powder Coating?
Whilst a thermoset coating is usually a decorative, thin film coating, thermoplastic coatings are functional coatings with the main following features:
- One-layer system
- Thick film coating, starting from 300 µm
- Extremely tough and resilient to mechanical and chemical stress
- Warm touch
- Electrical insulation
- Environmentally responsible (no VOC, halogen and BPA free)
When Should I Use Thermoplastic Powders?
Axalta thermoplastic powder coatings are used by a wide range of industries for a variety of reasons:
- Excellent corrosion protection in demanding environments
- Long-term savings on maintenance costs
- Lower material costs
- More effective and faster coating production lines
- Minimised environmental impact
In short, Axalta products provide our customers with real commercial advantages.
Axalta Thermoplastic Powder Coatings Are Regularly Used to Coat
Domestic white goods
- dishwasher baskets, freezer evaporation trays and refrigerator wire shelving
- iron, mild steel and aluminium fences. Chain link, welded mesh and ornamental
- mild steel boxes designed to hold lead acid batteries
- 'warm to the touch' public handrails
Oil & Gas
- pipelines, pipe body, field joint, pipe fittings in factory or field environments
- continuous wire strands, welded mesh and continuous mesh
- rebar mesh and cage work, girders, rock anchors, posts and cables
- metalwork exposed to salty environments such as from road salt or sea spray
- steel or aluminium conduits or trays designed to carry cabling
- flexible steel or aluminium automotive parts exposed to stone chips
- street level metalwork such as lighting columns, bollards and benches
Water pipes & fittings
- potable and waste water metal water pipes, fittings and tanks
- grip handles, walking aids, commodes and wheel chair frames
Stadium seat frames
- stadium seat frames, safety rails and grip hand rails
- the inside of water or foam filled fire extinguishers