Developing and manufacturing high performance coatings in a responsible manner
Powder coating is the most sustainable paint solution that the 21st century has to offer. No use of water, the air is the carrier of the powder paint to the metallic substrate through electrostatic guns. They can be easily and ecologically applied to achieve uniform and durable finishes.
Sustainability is central to Axalta’s business. From the coating of articles with our products to make them last longer, to reducing the environmental footprint of our operations, to working safely and with the highest level of ethics and integrity in everything we do, Axalta is committed to strong environmental, social, and governance practices. To learn more about Axalta’s sustainability initiatives, goals, and performance, please see our latest Sustainability Report at sustainability.axalta.com
Powder coatings are environmentally responsible compared to solvent-borne coatings since powder coatings contain no solvents and release negligible amounts of VOCs into the atmosphere. Cured coatings are not expected to release significant quantities of VOC in their service life and cured powder coatings have negligible impact on indoor air quality.
Powder coatings may contribute towards LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) credits.
At present Alesta® SD Architectural products, which are placed on the market within the European Economic Area, do not contain any Substances of Very High Concern (SVHC) which are included in the ‘Candidate List’, available on the ECHA (European Chemical Agency) webpage, in an individual concentration of 0.1 weight % or more.
At present Alesta® SD Architectural products do not carry any environmental hazard or health hazard pictograms.The powder coating materials, which are placed on the market within the European Economic Area (EEA), do not contain Lead (Pb), Hexavalent Chromium (CrVI), Cadmium (Cd) or Mercury (Hg) as intentionally added compounds. Nevertheless, these substances could occur as trace impurities in raw materials which are used in the manufacture of the products.
The waste from powder coating is significantly less hazardous than waste from solvent-borne coatings.
- Responsible operation of our plants and sites
- Reduction of emissions, energy, water, and waste from operations
- Enable reduction of energy, emissions and waste for our customers
- Technology that makes materials last longer, facilitates use of novel substrates, and reduces the impact of coatings on the environment
- Corporate governance and ethical leadership
- Compliance with laws, including antibribery laws and accurate financial reporting
- Information governance/cybersecurity
- Industry relations/association memberships
- Safe working conditions at Axalta sites
- Supply chain sustainability
- Efforts to increase workplace and supplier diversity
- Employee/candidate understanding of sustainability efforts
- STEM education and environmental stewardship programs in our communities